Saturday, February 16, 2013

Stuart Collection at UCSD

Visit the Stuart Collection at UCSD. The newest of the 18 installation is Fallen Star by Do Ho Suh. Each site specific work add to the beautiful Eucalyptus lined campus.

Site specific installations are intriguing. Knowing they were created for the location in which they are placed and you get to view them, allows the viewer to get into the mind of the artist. When I encounter site specific artwork I start to think about what the artist must have been thinking in the creative process. I wonder if I am taking away from the artwork what the artist wished me to take away after my viewing experience.I wonder if I REALLY saw what I was supposed to see or if I overlooked something? I wonder if I over analyzed and was just to have experienced rather than thought about it.

Many cities have site specific sculptures located in public parks, downtown office buildings, and in airports. Next time you see one, don;t just walk by ... encounter it!


Class Assignment linked to the homepage of the class website - due no later than 4-15-13.

No comments: